When applying for benefits, you do not have to bring any item with you. However, you will be asked to provide information while applying. To speed up the process, it would be helpful for you to bring one form of identification (a picture ID if possible) and proof of income with you. This is generally the basic information you will need.
Depending on the program(s) that you apply for, some other documents that may be requested during the interview are:
- Birth Certificates for family members
- Immunization records for children
- Medical bills incurred in the last three months and any old medical bill with an outstanding balance
- Proof of assets owned:
- Checking/savings account statements
- Life insurance policies
- Registration cards/titles for motor vehicles
- Bonds/stock certificates
- Deeds to property
- Proof of outstanding loans on any property
- Proof of household expenses - rent, utilities, etc.
- Proof of income received in the last three months
- Health/Hospital Insurance identification cards or policies for family members
- Social Security numbers for family members