Veteran Affairs Caregiver Program & Eligibility Update
Am I eligible for the Program of Comprehensive Assistance for Family Caregivers?
You may be eligible if you and the Veteran you’re caring for meet all of the following requirements listed.
Eligibility Requirements for the Family Caregiver
You must be at least 18 years old and at least one of these must be true for you.
You must be either:
- A spouse, son, daughter, parent, stepfamily member, or extended family member of the Veteran,
- Someone who lives full-time with the Veteran, or is willing to do so if designated as a family caregiver.
Eligibility Requirements for the Veteran
All of these must be true for the Veteran you’re caring for.
The Veteran must have a VA disability rating (individual or combined) of 70% or higher. The Veteran’s service-connected disabilities must have been caused or made worse by their active-duty service during one of these periods of time:
- On or after September 11, 2001
- On or before May 7, 1975
And the Veteran must
- Have been discharged from the U.S. military or have a date of medical discharge.
- Need at least 6 months of continuous, in-person personal care services.