- Departments I through Z
- Planning & Zoning
- Preliminary Plat Approval Process
Preliminary Plat Approval Process
Preliminary Plat / Subdivision Application: Review & Approval Process for Major Subdivisions
A major subdivision is defined as a division of property into more than three lots created for purposes of sale or building development. In most instances, a Major Subdivision will require rezoning into a classification other than Residential Agricultural (RA). Randolph County Growth Management policies require that County Planning staff maintain a formal review process for Major Subdivision proposals. The following is a list of the submittal and review process:
- Complete the Preliminary Plat/Subdivision Application at the bottom of this page and attach the digital files to the form. When the form is submitted, you can print a copy of your completed form or have the completed form emailed.
- In-office review of the application packet by the Deputy Zoning Administrator and the GIS Planner.
- Technical Review Committee meets and provides recommendations to developer who may or may not follow these recommendations unless the recommendations involve technical aspects of the submitted preliminary plat.
- Planning staff may meet the developer and surveyor on the site to discuss required and/or recommended changes from the Technical Review Committee.
- The developer or surveyor is notified of the cut-off for the revised plat and application fee payment.
- Revised plat and Application for Property Rezoning, along with fee, is submitted in the Planning Department.
- The Neighborhood Information Meeting for the request will be scheduled.
- The GIS Planner may provide the developer and/or the surveyor copies of the comments sheets submitted during the Neighborhood Information Meeting.
- The Technical Review Committee reviews comments and recommendations made during the Neighborhood Information Meeting and makes a recommendation to the Planning Board.
- The Planning Board Public Hearing (The Planning Board's decision is final unless appealed to the Board of Commissioners).
If you have questions about this process please call Tim Mangum, GIS Planner, at 336-318-6552.
This Preliminary Plat Requirements Checklist (PDF) must be completed and submitted with the below Preliminary Plat/Subdivision Application Form.
All information as required by the Randolph County Unified Development Ordinance (ex. NCDOT comments, DWG file, CSV file, etc.) must be uploaded and included on the online Preliminary Plat/Subdivision Application Form. If any of the required fields are not completed, the application will not be submitted.